knits & plants

aah, the simple life. almost.

Monday, March 31, 2008

An elegy to nursing

Ladies and gentlemen, I have been weaned. Can we please all observe a minute of silence.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
There.

Thank you all for you kind sympathies. I am still sorting through all the shock and mixed emotions. I keep thinking, "This can't be happening! He was so young!" and "What did I do wrong?" "Are my boobs not good enough?" And the sad truth is, we may never know. We sought a comment from the involved party. As of publishing time, he was not responding to inquiries.

All the nursing mamas I know tell essentially the same story. Babies having to be weaned at 24 months, or beyond. And not willingly. My baby? At 13 months. he's too busy for food that's not portable. I just...never expected him to wean me. I'm so depressed. What am I going to do now with all those hard-earned skills? Where does it fit on my resume that I can initiate and conclude a nursing session in a crowded restaurant without attracting notice or ever flashing the public? Le sigh.

This baby doesn't even want to nurse at night before bedtime. Not that he's relinquishing his grip on my boob though. He doesn't want it, he just wants to know that it's still there.

In lieu of flowers, donations can be sent to the Mothers Without Milk support group.

3 Comments:

At 9:22 PM, Blogger Megan said...

I felt the same way at 10 (!) months for A-man and 14 for B-Boy.

 
At 1:19 PM, Blogger Amanda said...

maybe the hubby can enjoy all the undercover boob flashes? Seriously, sorry you feel a bit unnecessary, I can totally relate.
Mine both weaned early and gave up naps about the same time...I hope Liam at least continues to nap.

 
At 2:36 PM, Blogger monkeysparkets said...

WARNING WARNING WARNING

The same thing happened to me with Bella at 13 months. Turned out it was because I was pregnant. Surprise! The hormones change the taste of the milk or something?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home