knits & plants

aah, the simple life. almost.

Monday, December 31, 2007

Good Riddance!

This year is finally over. Can't say I'm sorry to see it go. Not that I would ever write one of those obnoxious yearly letters to family and friends, but if i did, I would have to send a strong shot of bourbon along with it.

This year:
  • I birthed a beautiful baby boy
  • I had a c-section in lieu of natural childbirth
  • We found out my son had a tethered spinal cord
  • My dog was attacked by a rabid skunk
  • My sister's heart was broken
  • My furnace broke and filled my house with carbon monoxide
  • Winter snows extended into mid-April
  • My company froze all salaries indefinitely
  • We found out our baby had saggital synostosis
  • My husband found a better paying job
  • Our dog suffered from renal failure and was put to sleep
  • My son endured two major surgeries
  • I got to take my son to work for six months
  • My sister's heart was broken again
  • My dad was diagnosed with cancer and had a tumor removed, then began chemotherapy
  • I got a new car
  • My grandfather died
  • I got a fantastic digital camera
  • We took a family vacation to the beach
  • I maxxed out two credit cards
  • I gained fifteen pounds postpartum
  • Our hospital debt load (four surgeries, seventeen days inpatient combined) got sent to collection
  • I lost fifteen pounds
  • However, no one in my family was maimed by wild dogs, so I guess we should consider ourselves lucky.
Heaven knows I'm no pessimist, but this year has GOT to go! Please please please let it be over, and please let next year just be normal. We need it. Vacation is close to a four-letter-word right now because every time we try to plan one, something calamitous happens.

I actually got invited to a party tonight, and guess what? My tummy is having a really bad day. Bad enough that I think I'm going to skip it. Figures. And since Glenn is working, it looks like Liam and I will be watching Battlestar Galactica and eating popcorn.

Okay, I am definitely feeling sorry for myself. Bah humbug. But it's a fitting way to end the year. It can only get better, right?

Happy New Year everybody. Tomorrow, I am going to sit down with the new Fedco seed catalog and order up my garden for next year. Then am going to do a stash inventory and find something to knit, goddammit. Then, I will drink wine or tea, depending on the tummy situation. Then Liam and I will attempt another snowshoe in the backyard. And with that, I will hopefully air out all the bad juju and get back to the stuff that really matters in life. Hope to see you there.

PS-Congratulations to the lovely JBQs for holding off on the birth of baby Harper for a full week so she could be a NYE baby. Way to go!! I miss you all. Send pictures ASAP!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home