knits & plants

aah, the simple life. almost.

Monday, April 24, 2006

weekend wrapup

I am very sleepy today. Was up until 2am transplanting tomato babies out of their flats and into peat pots. It didn't all need to get done, but it's kind of hypnotic once you get on a roll.

Transplanting tomatoes can sometimes seems like plant cruelty. If you bury them right up to their little necks, then all the buried stem area will put out roots, making the plants stronger and stockier. They look so helpless in their new pots.

Sunday was so awfully cold and rainy that Carmelita and I consoled ourselves with a trip to Mecca, otherwise known as Arcana. Those people know how to grow some damn fine plants. It's too early yet for their superb tomato and peppers, but they have boatloads of awesome perennials, which I know nothing about. Here's what I came home with:



I'm very excited about the eucalyptus. And this very viney, trumpet-like thing that had bright orange blooms. I'll try to keep it all alive. Carmelita bought a tea tree. I wish her luck. The lady at the greenhouse said they're very, very difficult.



We rounded out the day with dim sum in Burlington. Not a bad way to spend a rainy Sunday afternoon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home