knits & plants

aah, the simple life. almost.

Thursday, October 05, 2006

It's a baby, stupid!

There's a new gourmet deli/bakery in town that we're real happy to have. They've just opened, so a lot of items aren't available yet. Still, we want to give them lots of support so they'll stick around. It would be nice to have a Boar's Head option instead of only Shur-Fine, you know?

I happened to be in town this morning, so I stopped in before work to see if their antique hot cocoa machine was operational yet. Imported chocolate and all...mmmm! The owner/barista was sorry to report that it wasn't. I patted my (very protruding) belly and said, "Well, I'm kind of limited in what I can have, but I suppose a single latte will be okay."

He starts to makes it, and then pauses to look at me. Then he says, "You know, those hot chocolates aren't low-calories or anything."

Ouch. I've never identified with James Carville so much in my life when I stared at him and said icily, "It's a baby, stupid!" Okay, I didn't say that, exactly. I only said the stupid part to myself.

How humiliating in a tv-sitcom kind of way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home