knits & plants

aah, the simple life. almost.

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

there are no words

One of the main reasons for starting this blog was to exercise my powers of description. I'm rusty and I could use the challenge. But for three days I've been unable to come up with a sufficient narrative of the past weeknd. There are no words.

(Many of) My nearest and dearest came to Liam's baby shower on Saturday, and I'm still kind of reeling from the outrageous amount of love and generosity shown to myself and this child. It goes beyond my powers to describe. You are all so wonderful. My heart is full.

And then there were the travellers. Thank you all for driving so far for this. I'm not sure I'll ever be able to repay the favor. The best-in-show award absolutely goes to Patti, who will be forever in our hearts. Not only did she drive six hours up from New Jersey, but she arrived with fresh bread, fresh pies, four trays of homemade Italian Eggplant Parmesean, meatballs, sausage and sauce, and a bottle of this wine (for after the birth, of course!):
Be still my heart.

The shower was lovely, and I had a wonderful time, despite being as pregnant and puffy as possible. I have two chins in almost every picture. There was a small mountain of gifts which is hard for me because I want to focus on them all, but I'm not allowed to let the shower extend to five hours long. Later, at home, I spent the better part of the weekend giving every gift its fair amount of attention and putting things to right in Liam's room. Still not quite there, but close.
And then there were the clothes. Holy Moses, the clothes. This child is going to be so well put-together, I'm almost ashamed to be seen with him. I'm going to look like a total ragamuffin in comparison. I love the clothes. I have a high-capacity front-loading washing machine, and it took me four (!) loads to get everything laundered. Think we'll have enough?
All in all, it was a great weekend, and I thank all my lovely women for getting there. I'm feeling ready for this baby, so much more now that we have all your fabulous gifts.

Hugs.

1 Comments:

At 11:12 AM, Blogger Amanda said...

Wow That is some haul! Believe me, you can never have too many baby clothes! I can't wait until the little man makes his blog debut!

I wish I had some words of wisdom about your MIL....My sister has the same problem, but at least her MIL lives in Puerto Rico.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home