knits & plants

aah, the simple life. almost.

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

here, a baby, there, a baby

Apparently, pregnancies can be mildly contagious! That, or practically every married person I know shares my biological clock timing.

I've just found out that my cousin Lorraine in Ireland is pregnant with her first, and due two months before I am! This is good. I really love her and her husband Paul. They'll make fantastic parents. I have to admit, though, that I am more than a little jealous of her maternity allowances on the Emerald Isle. Lorraine is a teacher in Dublin, and she'll work until her delivery. Then she gets nine months of leave, not having to return until the following September. Geez. I'll be lucky to get a full 12 weeks. Yay for Lorraine!

And then this morning, I got word that my dear friend mmphh is going to have her second baby a month after me! I am so happy for her and mmphh. It will be so much fun to compare notes and since she's already gone through this once, I'm going to pepper her with questions. The only thing is, she lives in mmphh which is far away from me. Grrr. Also, she's one of my best friends from mmphh and that brings our foursome's baby tally to a whopping SIX. Incredible. Whooee! Since I'm not positive I should be blogging about it until she tells me its ok, I've muffled the joyful news in order to protect the parties involved.

It's happening already. I'm becoming baby-obsessed. Must. keep. control. It helps that I haven't yet told the people at work. Although I can't wait to stop pretending that I feel fine. I just wanna go to bed.

I keep forgetting to bring my camera out to the garden, and for this, I apologize. Things are going a little wild, but tomatoes and peppers and most beans will be a success. I have, however, discovered about a bajillion Colorado Potato beetle larvae feasting on my potato plants. They need to be controlled, but organically, which means I concoct some weird tea or hand pick the little buggers off. With bucket in hand, I went down yesterday to begin the picking, but there I discovered that the local birds are having a kegger in the potato patch and beetles are the hors d'oeuvre. I love nature! I think, in a few days, I'll have considerably less beetles to worry over.

Also, I discovered that thin yoga pants are no match for voracious mosquitoes. They, ummm, attacked my bottom, which is making it considerably less pleasant to sit in my chair at work today.

6 Comments:

At 2:05 PM, Blogger Rochelle said...

Melinda, ooh, I have baby fever, too, and I'm not married or even economically sound enough to risk getting myself knocked up! I should probably spend a little while longer dating Prom Date before deciding to settle in for the long, family haul, but, ooh again, reading your post reminds me that I'm not sure I'll be able to wait all that much longer.

-RB

 
At 2:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ouch! Mosquito-bite butt! Can you use caladryl? I hid in the house all last summer so I wouldn't have to find out.

RB- Leda?

 
At 2:24 PM, Blogger melinda said...

I am beginning to wish I could hide, but I've sunk far too much $$ into the garden to let it all go now! Plus, the house is full of mosquitoes too!

aye, RB=Leda

 
At 11:05 PM, Blogger Rochelle said...

Yes, my Blogger identity is Leda Horticulture, but I have yet to get a real blog up and running. I have a fantasy of being able to devote half an hour or so a day to it once I switch jobs and I can settle in a bit. We'll see if that materializes. Lord knows I'm strapped to this damn computer most of the time -- it might be just a matter of doing the blog *first* before emailing/reading/poking around. Discipline, discipline.

 
At 10:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I appreciate the shushing, but it's ok-I think Ive already told everybody that I know and one or two people that I don't know. I admire your restraint in not telling your work peeps!

 
At 2:29 PM, Blogger Amy said...

Naturally, all of this gardening and nature-stuff is from growing up in the Garden State . . .

 

Post a Comment

<< Home