knits & plants

aah, the simple life. almost.

Friday, April 06, 2007

don't know why/there's no sun up in the sky

stormy weather



Once upon a time, Glenn and I lived in sunny South Carolina. Our condo was half a mile from the ocean. (Remember those pictures from vacation a year ago? That's where we lived.)



Sometimes, I can't remember why the hell we left and came back here. This is APRIL. Sheesh.

Yesterday, the day these photos were taken, I got the car stuck in the driveway for over an hour. After a tearful call to Glenn at work, the guy who owns the local general store came and pulled me out. Liam fell asleep in the car, so I didn't want to take him out. I drove for an hour to attend a gathering of mothers and little babies. They meet from 10-12 every Thursday. I got there at 11:30. You might say I'm desperate for company.

While we were still in the hospital, and for the week after we got home, I had the ringer on the phone shut off. It was hard enough to get through each day without completely falling apart. The incredible hormone crash, the lack of sleep, and the worries over Liam's medical condition made me pretty much a mess. And I do not get messy. I'm a Coper (sic?). My mama was pretty much the only person I could bear to talk to, and thank goodness for her helping hand. She's good with babies, and her daughters too.

Once we were home, settled, and chemically stable again, I began to realize like never before how incredible isolated our little patch of turf is. Need to go to the doctor? It's an hour away. Ditto for the hospital. And a gallon of organic milk.

I grew up in suburban New Jersey. And say what you like, there were some definite perks. Like sidewalks. And libraries. And bagels. I don't want my child to grow up ignorant of all these things. I want to be able to say, "go out and play" and he have the opportunity to play with other children, not just pretty scenery.

It's a crisis of the highest magnitude, brought on by an April snowstorm. We don't to live in Corinth anymore; we can't afford to live anyplace much better right now. I'm not talking about moving out of state, just closer to people and amenities that I'm used to. Burlington is a vibrant, totally cool community, and I miss it. It's time to plan our getaway. Get-rich-quick schemes welcome.

2 Comments:

At 2:40 PM, Blogger Amanda said...

Ugg, I can't say I am jealous of all that snow, but my kiddos would love it! There is nothing like having a new baby that makes that glorious quiet and beautiful scenery feel like complete isolation. If you lived in the city you would be worring about Liam running into the street after a ball or something...it is always something with us Mamas... Hang in there, and try to think of all the positives of living out in the middle of nowhere that he would never experience if ya'll lived in the city...like long adventures in the woods and playing in the creek below the house. I don't think he will miss the bagels too much and my boy would rather run barefoot through the grass than walk on a sidewalk any day.

*hugs*

 
At 11:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boy, do I remember those days! Hang in there, it will get better.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home